Tuesday 9 January 2007

The Great Divide

I have been pondering on the recent demise of the Icelandic quiz-show demi-god Magnus Magnusson. Having been briefly in his presence, when he unveiled what I seem to remember was a large rock commemorating the 2000th anniversary of the Viking invasion of Cornwall*, I scoured the inner reaches of my mind, trying to recall some inkling of a tangible experience of the man himself. I was right out of inklings (don't they sound like tiny creatures that steal biros?). I did however stumble across what I feel may be a signifcant cultural dividing line between generations of Brits: those who, when asked to identify a famous Magnus, would obviously answer 'Magnusson', and those who would answer 'Powermouse'. One could probably delineate whole new marketing subgroups based on this vital information. However if anyone wishes to do so please note I hold intellectual copyright of the concept; you can have it for a fiver and a cup of tea.

*this is probably wrong

1 comment:

thewebstress said...

So that's where all my biros have gone...pesky buggers.