Friday 15 February 2008

Punctuation Stations

What makes me uncomfortable?
Tight jeans. Tentative silences....
Public performances.
But nothing makes me twitch and itch and shift in my seat
Like a BIG EMPTY SPACE where an apostrophe should be.
An involuntary spasm
For the missing punctuation,
Yes I care about the commas
(I also like alliteration).
I want to be
Swaddled by semicolons;
Hugged by hyphens -
A brought up short by a fat full stop.
Like notes on a score
These insignificant specks that tell words how to behave
Have made me their slightly obsessive slave.
The pleasure that I treasure
In the meter and the measure
Gets its confidence from colons
And brackets make it brave.

2 comments:

MrsG said...

The trouble with poet/
Is how do you know its/
Deceased?

Try the priest.

dollyrocket said...

With his reputation? Risky but there's few options left...